Friday, January 9, 2009

We'll get back to that later. For now..

Wanted to touch upon a couple things that jumped out at me over the last couple days that I don't think many people caught onto.

Things that were awesome over this last year, into the new year (No, there won't be a bad stuff this year; I tend not to do those.):

-The Doctor Who Christmas Special.
- Chrono Trigger DS.
- Most of House this season.
- Secret Six and Blue Beetle, despite what's happening to BOTH of them.
- Girl Genius. In general.....especially this part. And a few parts after.
- Elenium and Witches Abroad, my next reading project...How I love thee, Eddings and Pratchett. Although, I would like to see more equality in Edding's work.*

*What I mean by equality is the fact that Edding's work tends to assume that main characters males are technical idiots with only tactical and combative skill, and that the females are placed slightly on a pedestal. The characters of Flute and Sephrenia follow this example quite well, both being quite annoyed by simple questions by clearly confused Church Knights and young child thieves, and all the while proported as very intimidating and magically-powerful, yet they make claim of little combative and tactical ability, although the point I'm at in the series considers their age protests otherwise. I am either a misoginist or a feminist, but strive for pure equality; that all characters in media-male and female-have a fair and equal representation in terms of how much trouble they get involved in, and exactly how much they contribute to getting out of it. Not to mention significiant intellect, combative and non-combative abilities, and their interaction with characters, allies or enemies alike. Sorry this was so long.

2 comments:

  1. Nice posts. I was flattered by your passing mention in the first one. Not hearing anything I didn't already know overall, but the Tier system doesn't really apply outside of "Could Batman beat Spiderman?" geek-style philosophy. I personally go by the tone of the original series and how much Plot Armor a character's given there. That reasonably accounts for variations in power levels across the settings.

    P.S. I realize you're no stickler for grammar like moi, but some of the errors here are positively unforgivable. I mean, "it's" insanity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. Secret Six is doing fine. It's Blue Beetle and Manhunter that are getting canceled.

    ReplyDelete