Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Random Stuff I've Been Linked Too (Part 2)

I know I've done this before, since I've checked, and now I'm doing it again. It was two posts ago which brought my unfathomable rage eariler, so let's see what can give me unbridled joy....just without all the death.

First, I'm still watching White Collar. This is one of the best shows-alongside the generous opinion and outward awesome that is Burn Notice-with some of the best character development I've seen in a long time for men and women involved. No one is a liability, everyone has their awesome, funny,and incredibly heartwarming moments which are easy to spot, and it depicts a relationship between rivals that I haven't seen before in such a capacity..ever.

Now, while I'm getting ready to watch this show again and I'm doing some research, I get linked to this lovely little blog post.

Let me break it down for you: The male cultural perception is incredibly broken. We're supposed to be strong, unfeeling types who simply cast off to greatness because we can feel good about having those weak, piddling emotions and understandings to hold us back.

This is wrong. We need to be able to express and not be ashamed for it. We need to be able to say that we're men because we're human beings-just as women should-and the world would be better for it.

This was to be my response post for Ms.Kesler, but I couldn't get it on there somehow. I was impressed with her feature and felt the need to congratulate:

'Thank you for this feature and your feelings upon it. I agree with your analysis and idea of feminism wholeheartedly. The perception of the male cultural stigma pervading other men has gone on far enough. It has been said best by many others and it shall be repeated here: The Patriarchy Hurts Men Too.

What I found particularly drawing about Fight Club as a movie was not only the Mental Illness angle perpetuating the idea of a culturally-supermale society, but also the complete and total persecution of lesser males-and females by the second half-for being incapable of reaching their goals. One of the many reason the 'Calvin and Hobbes' theory was postulated was that Jack (In this situation, Calvin) was someone who completely saw fantasy as an escape towards a society where he was a superman who could do literally anything he set his mind to. Tyler (being Hobbes) facilitated that need and gave Jack everything he ever desired all with the context of a completely fabricated pseudo-reality.

When he gets thrown into reality once more, where does Jack stand? A normal human being without that world to reside within, but also a free man who cast off the shackles.'

Take that to the bank.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the article, but I have some complaints about your blog's header. Firstly, I object to being called a crazy feminist. I am certainly insane, it is true, and I am also a feminist, but find some way to describe me that doesn't connect the two. Secondly, and more important, fix your grammar. "It's" used in place of the possessive makes my skin crawl.

    ReplyDelete